Disaster Area DPC-8EZ Gen3 Programmable Bypass Switcher with MIDI *Free Shipping in the USA*
The DPC-8EZ Gen3 is our updated compact pedalboard control system with eight effects loops and MIDI.
A bypass looper can streamline your rig in ways you never thought
possible – imagine being able to tap one footswitch to go from verse to
chorus to bridge of a song, while changing up to eight different effects
plus two MIDI devices!
If you already have a MIDI controller, the DPC-8EZ can act as a MIDI
“slave” on any available channel. You can even connect two or more
DPC-8EZ to control more pedals.
The DPC-8EZ is fully compatible with the Disaster Area Gen3 pedal
controllers – connect it to add eight effects loops under MIDI control.
The DPC-8EZ can also function as a standalone MIDI controller for up to
What’s new in Gen3?
The switching system at the heart of the DPC-8EZ is so robust and
transparent that we didn’t dare to change it! We did add a few nice new
- Faster, more powerful 32-bit processor
- Improved USB MIDI capabilities
- User-definable LED brightness (10 levels)
- New MIDI mode controls up to two MIDI devices with program select and tap tempo
- Preset mode now controls MIDI and loops
- Tuner output jack doubles as a MultiJack
- MultiJack functions as MIDI input & output OR double MIDI output
- MultiJack is directly compatible with Chase Bliss, Empress, or Meris pedals
- Compact size – 10″ x 2.6″ x 2″ excluding switch caps and jacks.
- No special power supply required – uses less than 120mA, 9V from a Pedal Power 2 or similar.
- 5 footswitches for preset selection or manual effects loop control.
- 48 presets accessible by foot, arranged in four folders with three banks of four presets each.
- 128 presets accessible using an external MIDI controller
- Full MIDI control of presets and effects loops
- 8 effects loops with a custom-designed switching matrix
- MIDI mode controls up to two MIDI devices
- Dedicated insert connection may be assigned to any position in the effects loop section.
- Always-on tuner out with tuner mute, doubles as second MIDI interface
- Status LEDs with user-definable brightness work in any situation from an orchestra pit to full sun.
- Exclusive Z-MODE buffer allows you to tailor the impedance to work with fuzz, vibe, wah, and other impedance-sensitive pedals
- USB connector for MIDI connection and future firmware upgrades (PC and Mac firmware update tools available.)
Modes of Operation:
Button A-D: Select a preset. Tap the current preset for bypass.
Bank Button: Change preset banks. Hold to enter Manual mode.
Button A: Hold for tuner mute
Button B-C: Hold to select preset folder 1-4
Button D: Hold to save the current settings to a preset
Button A-D: Select loops 1-4 (blue bank) or loops 5-8 (green bank.)
Bank Button: Change loop banks (1-4 or 5-8.) Hold to enter preset or MIDI mode.
Button A: Hold for Tuner Mute
Button D: Hold to save the current loop settings to a preset
Buttons A-B: Select program for MIDI device A. Hold to fast-scroll device A.
Buttons B-D: Select program for MIDI device B Hold to fast-scroll device B.
Bank Button: Tap for tap tempo. Hold to enter Preset mode
DPC-8EZ Insert Connector
The DPC-8EZ Insert allows the controller to function as two separate switching systems with separate audio paths
- Split the paths to place loops 1-4 in the preamp of your amp, 5-8 in the effects loop
- Split the paths to switch effects in two separate amplifiers or signal chains
- Place a volume pedal after your drive pedals / before your modulation and time-based effects
- Use the Stereo Link feature to have the left stereo channel use loops 1-4 and the right stereo channel use loops 5-8
The DPC-8EZ features a limited but powerful MIDI implementation.
Selecting a preset on the DPC-8EZ will send a MIDI program change
message to any other connected MIDI devices (MERGE mode.) This program
sending is user-definable using the MIDI mode.
Each loop on the DPC-8EZ may also be controlled by a MIDI CC (continuous controller) message.
Any Disaster Area Gen3 device can control the DPC-8EZ as a slave
device. This allows the DMC or DPC to select saved presets on the
DPC-8EZ and still pass MIDI control data to any other MIDI pedals on
Cables and Connections
Please note that in order to pack the maximum connectivity into the
DPC-8EZ, the jack spacing is very tight. We have tested several
different brands and types of patch cables and have found .
36 plugs (3 kits) are required to cable 8 effects and one volume pedal
into a DPC-8EZ. Other options include George L’s and Lava solderless
kits, including Mini-ELC and Tightrope kits. Customers wishing to use
soldered connections may use Switchcraft 380 straight plugs.
We also offer several cable options for the MultiJack.
: Connects two device TIPs to the MultiJack. Works for Empress and Meris devices.
: Connects one device TIP and one RING to the MultiJack. Works for one Empress / Meris device and one Chase Bliss device
: Connects two device RINGs to the MultiJack. Works for two Chase Bliss devices.